The clothing you choose to wear directly influences the performance of athletes. That is what equestrians are, athletes. If we aren’t outfitted properly to do our work, just like our horses and their tack, we cannot perform at our best.
There are multiple factors that play into what you should wear. The conditions in which you will be riding is the largest factor. In the hot weather of summer, the right clothes can help you avoid heat-related illnesses. The best things to choose when riding in the heat are:
– Loose Clothing: Wearing loose clothing allows for air flow to move between the clothing and your skin and naturally cool down your body by evaporating the sweat
– Light Colors: Avoid dark colors since they absorb the UV rays and make the clothing item hot. By wearing light colors that reflect the UV rays will help keep you cool
In colder weather you want to:
– Layer, Layer, Layer: Wearing a moisture-wicking layer closest to your body will absorb the sweat so you don’t get the chills. Outer layers should have vented openings to help your body can regulate its temperature.
– Protect Your Lungs & Extremities: Wear a scarf or face-mask to try to keep as much freezing cold air out of your lungs as possible. Also, wear warm socks and gloves that will promote circulation and keep those fingers and toes cozy.
For both weather types, head protection is vital. While riding, you helmet suffices but if you can, add an external visor that adds extra protection. When off your horse, choose a light hat or visor in the warmth and a wool cap that covers your ears in the cold.
Another big consideration when choosing good riding apparel is your freedom of movement. You want to be able to stretch and bend well. Clothing that is too tight or is not made of a good material is can inhibit your performance. Materials such as microfiber polyester blends that are moisture wicking and stretchy are perfect for it.
I have made a list of my top 3 favorite high-performance clothing items as well as where to find them:
1. Alessandro Albanese Free Button Long Sleeve Shirt
This shirt is hands down my favorite all-weather top for riding. It is the perfect mix of everything you want in performance wear. Did I mention that it is CRAZY cute too?!
You can purchase this shirt through Alessandro Albanese’s sister company, Horseware here
2. Equine Couture Breeches
Comfortable breeches are essential while riding. Until I rode in equine couture breeches, I didn’t know these were breeches that soft, breathable, and flattering. They work on all body types and have the best pattern selection. I own 6 pairs and plan to get more as soon as I can!
You can find Equine Couture products on their website equinecouture.com or other online tack stores
3. Hanes Boys’ 12+1 Bonus Pack Crew Socks
Yes, I wear boys socks because they are much cheaper than women’s socks. These are a reliable, comfy, and cheap sock that you can light on fire and they will still be fine. Extra padding on the toe and heel provide extra comfort while wearing boots for long periods of time in all weather.
You can find these socks at Target and most stores that are similar (ie. Walmart, Kohls, etc.)
I hope y’all enjoyed this post! If you have any questions regarding anything in this post feel free to DM on Instagram @equestrian.syd!
Until next time preps,
Sydney & The Ponies